Friday, March 21, 2014

Why Bearded Dragons

Why Bearded Dragons?

Reptiles are unique and beautiful pets, and the thought of owning one can be very exciting. However, it is dangerous for your new reptile friend, if you assume all pet store associates will set you up with everything you need to properly care for your reptile.

In most pet stores, bearded dragons are marked as "Beginner" level reptiles, but they still require close supervision to fulfill their needs for a healthy life. The purpose of this blog is to better prepare soon-to-be bearded dragon owners on what they should expect before making a commitment to this reptile.

What to Expect from this Blog

  • Upkeep - How much you will initially spend, and how much it costs to maintain them
  • Habitat - Basic habitat necessities
  • Lighting and Temperature - What bulbs you will need, and what the habitat's temperatures should look like
  • Diet - Insects, Greens, Veggies, Oh My!
  • Illness - Warnings signs to look for before and after buying
  • Shedding - How often shedding happens, and what you can do to help your bearded dragon shed.
  • Other Behaviors - What is your bearded dragon doing, and what does it mean?

About Me and My Bearded Dragons

Spike & Shenron
My name is Kelley, and I currently own two juvenile bearded dragons, Spike and Shenron. I cannot claim to be a reptile expert, but I aim to share my experience in buying my bearded dragons to lessen the amount of people buying without doing further research.

I purchased Spike and Shenron from a pet store as babies. I've had them for a little over 3 months, and they are growing rapidly. They are still too young to determine their gender, but for the sake of consistency, I will be referring to them as males. They will be my examples when appropriate, and I will be referring to them frequently. Spike is the smaller, more orange one on the right; Shenron is the larger of the two.


No comments:

Post a Comment